Why do I need to send documents?

Providing both Proof of ID and Proof of Entitlement is a legal requirement for authorised Registered Number Plate Suppliers (RNPS). This comes directly from the DVLA, who dictate that you should only get number plates made up at a RNPS such as ourselves.  The provision of documentation when purchasing number plates helps to protect road users from the increasing threat of vehicle crime, including cloned number plates and vehicles.

What do I need to get a number plate made?

As mentioned above, you’re required to send one Proof of ID and one Proof of Entitlement.

For your Proof of Identification, we can accept the following:

  • Driving License.
  • Passport or National ID Card.
  • Utility Bill or Council Tax Bill from within the last three months.
  • A Current Account (Bank) or Building Society statement from within the last three months.
  • A Police Warrant Card (or ID if civilian Police staff) or Armed Forces ID.

Please note that this ID must be for you, (the person placing the order), not for the person receiving it (if sending it to a friend or family member for example).

For the Proof of Entitlement, we can accept the following:

  • Vehicle Registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI).
  • New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2 or V5CNI/2).
  • DVLA-issued Certificate of Entitlement (V750 or V750NI).
  • DVLA-issued Retention Document (V778).
  • An email confirmation of purchase from the DVLA or 3rd Party Seller (e.g. SwiftReg, AbsoluteReg).
  • An in-date number plate authorisation certificate (V948) with an official DVLA or DVSA stamp.
  • An electronic number plate authorisation certificate (eV958)
  • A vehicle Tax reminder letter or SORN document (V11 or V11NI)
  • Temporary registration certificate (V379 or V379NI).
  • A letter of authorisation on headed paper from a fleet operator (including Hire & Leasing companies) quoting the document reference number from the cars V5C.

If you have ordered for yourself, this must be a document relating to your registration.  If you have ordered for someone else, it must be their Proof of Entitlement (e.g. V5C), and not your own.


Where do I send the documents to?


We prefer to receive documentation via email, which can be sent as a photograph or scan. These should be sent to info@number1plates.com, quoting your Order Number, which usually starts with ‘#000’.

We can also accept documents by post to Number 1 Plates, Gordon Mills, Guiseley, West Yorkshire, LS20 9PD. If you send documents via Royal Mail, please ensure that you send them on a Tracked or Signed For service as we are unable to take responsibility for documents which are lost in the post.


I’m nervous about sending documents…


We completely understand your concerns regarding sending private and confidential information over to us as a company, but we’d like to reassure you that your documents are in safe hands.

Internally, we have a safe and secure intranet and email system, whereby every piece of sensitive information is securely and safely destroyed after we have been able to successfully verify the documents provided.  This is also one of the reasons why we prefer to receive photographs or scans of the documents, as opposed to physical documents through the post.  If you do choose to send originals, they will be returned with your order, however we can take no responsibility for documents which are lost in the post.


It’s an inconvenience to send documents…


We know that you may not have the required documents to hand straight away, and we will temporarily hold you order until you provide them to us. If you were to go to a reputable garage, dealership or high street auto parts store, they would ask you to provide the same documentation as we do, as the process does not change whether the RNPS operates online or in a bricks and mortar capacity.


If you would like any more information on any of the above, please refer to the DVLA’s page about getting plates made up or get in touch with one of our team via email or social media.