Do I Need To Send Documents To Buy Number Plates?

Yes, it is a Legal requirement!

We often get asked “what do you need to get a number plate made”, and the answer is simple – just one proof of ID and one proof of entitlement to the registration!

To ensure a super speedy delivery please follow the instructions below, and quote your order reference number in all correspondence.

Please send “one” document from “each” list below – Required by law and enforced by the DVLA

We know this can be a real pain but we need to comply with the law, therefore we need to see one form of Identification for the person placing the order, and one form of entitlement for the registration number in relation to your order.

To simplify the process you need to:

  • Show us original documents,  these can then be sent back to you in the post with your order if you wish.

Confirm your identification

We need to see “one” document to confirm your identification (This is the identification for the person placing the order)

  1. Driving license, whether or not issued in the United Kingdom (UK) (with or without a photo)
  2. A bill issued by your electricity, gas or water supplier, a landline telephone bill, or a council tax bill (current within the last six months) or rates bill (in Northern Ireland only)
  3. A bank or building society statement
  4. A passport, whether or not issued in the UK
* a national identity card issued by the government of a state or territory other than the UK
  5. A debit or credit card issued by a bank or building society
  6. A police warrant card
 or an armed forces identity card

Confirm your entitlement

We need to see “one” document to confirm entitlement for the registration number (this document doesn’t need to match the identification of the person placing the order, for instance if you are placing the order for someone else)

  1. Vehicle registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI)
  2. New keeper supplement (V5C/2 or V5C/2NI)
  3. Certificate of entitlement (V750 or V750NI) to the number
  4. Retention document (V778) – not applicable in Northern Ireland
  5. A renewal reminder for vehicle tax or SORN (V11 or V11NI)
  6. Temporary registration certificate (V379 or V379NI)
  7. A number plate authorisation certificate (V948) with an official stamp from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) or Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
  8. An electronic number plate authorisation certificate (eV948)
  9. A letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including lease or hire company) quoting the document reference number from the registration certificate

Please quote your order reference number in all correspondence.


  • Intuitive Plate Builder
  • Quality Assured Plates
  • Flexible Customisation Options
  • Amazing Customer Support Team
  • Super-Fast dispatch
  • Next Day Delivery Available
  • 100% UK Road Legal Plates

Start Building Your Plate Now!

Build Your Plate in Minutes with Our Unique Online Plate Builder. We have plates in all Shapes and Sizes for all Vehicles. Fully Customise Your Plate!