Here at Number 1 Plates, we are committed to protecting your privacy and personal data. We will only use the information that we collect about you lawfully, in accordance with the ePrivacy Regulation (ePR) and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
If you require any additional information regarding this policy or how your data is handled and protected, then please contact our Data Protection Officer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘FAO Data Protection Officer’.
The policy below is effective from 1st January 2018 and was last updated in January 2023. It applies only to our online activities and is valid for visitors to our website with regards to the information that they shared and/or collected by Number 1 Plates. This policy is not applicable to any information collected offline or via channels other than this website.
Overview: Information we collect
The personal information that you are asked to provide, and the reasons why you are asked to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point we ask you to provide your personal information.
If you contact us directly, we may receive additional information about you such as your name, email address, phone number, the contents of the message and/or attachments you may send us, and any other information you may choose to provide.
Data Processing: the Information we collect about You:
Number 1 Plates collect data about you for a number of purposes, and each of these are set out below. Each instance is done so in accordance with relevant laws and regulations, and the basis for data collection, along with the types of data captured, is set out below.
Ordering & Purchasing:
When purchasing a number plate from us:
When you purchase a number plate from us, the following data is collected under Legitimate Interest, as doing so is an essential part of our business.
- Full Name
- Postal Address
- Telephone Number
- Email Address
- Vehicle Registration Number
- Credit or Debit Card Details
Newsletter & other Marketing communications:
With your express consent, we use your data in order to provide you with the products and services to which you have subscribed. We may contact you by post, email and/or phone/SMS.
- Full Name
- Postal Address
- Telephone Number
- Email Address
- Vehicle Registration Number.
In addition to the above instances, we may also collect the following information about You:
- Information from Cookies
- Device and Browser Type
- How You use our Website
- E.g. Which pages you have viewed, the time when you view them and what you clicked on, the geographical location from which you accessed our website (based on your IP address).
- Company name or business name (if applicable).
- VAT number (if applicable).
- RNPS Number (if applicable).
We may use this information, in addition to other information provided, for the following purposes:
- For administrative and business purposes (particularly to contact you and process orders you place on our website).
- To improve our business and website.
- To fulfil our contractual obligations.
- To advertise our goods and services
- To analyse your use of our website.
- In connection with our legal rights and obligations.
- To provide authorized official bodies, such as the DVLA or Police, with requested information.
- To provide authorized third parties such as technical advisors or web-hosting companies who may have occasion to see some of your data during the course of their developments and security testing. These firms have strict privacy and data control policies of their own which we have checked, before engaging their services in order to preserve the security and safety of your data and our data.
- To any third party which purchases, or to which we transfer, all or substantially all of our assets and business. Should such a sale occur, we will use reasonable efforts to try to ensure that the entity to which we transfer your information uses it in a manner that is consistent with this policy and your previously given consents.
Your personal information may be converted into statistical or anonymised data which cannot be used to identify you, which may then be used to produce statistical research and reports.
We do not collect, nor are we party to, any information you may supply to any finance partners.
We will never sell or exchange for reward, any of your personal details with a third party.
The UK Government presently requires all UK firms to keep complete sales records for a minimum of 6 years, and therefore your data will be held at least for this period.
We retain accounting records in accordance with the relevant UK legislation.
With your separate consent, we will keep you updated with your contact information after completion of any sale or until your enquiry has been fulfilled, until you choose to opt out.
The transferring of data outside the European Economic Area:
We will only ever transfer your information outside the European Economic Area if we are required to do so by law. Should this happen, we will always ensure that the appropriate safeguards are in place.
Like any other website, Number 1 Plates uses ‘cookies’.
A cookie is a simple text file that is stored on the visitor’s computer, enabling us to recognise regular visitors and to customise our service accordingly. No personal information about the user is stored in, or retrieved from, the cookie files. The information is used to optimize the users’ experience by customizing our web page content based on visitors’ browser type and/or other information.
Some of the cookies we use are listed below, along with brief explanations of their purposes.
utma, utmt, utmb, umtc, utmv and utmz (aka Google Analytics)
Recognises you when you return to our site and track the pages you visit, estimate our audience size, monitor traffic levels and search queries.
If present, specifies the site the user came from to reach our site. Used for general, anonymous statistical analysis.
domain, referer, source, SourceName, SourceData
All five of these do basically the same thing; they determine which link, if any, the user followed to reach our site (e.g. one in our newsletter, or a promotional email etc). This allows us to display the correct phone number for enquiries. It also allows us to assess how effective our various communication methods are at generating traffic.
The date and time the user arrived at the site during the current ‘session’. Used rarely to analyse trends in traffic using the website.
Stores purchase data (plate, price etc) which is sent to Google Analytics. This does not contain sensitive personal data.
Please be aware that disabling cookies may make some services on some websites unavailable. Some cookies, such as those described as ‘internal user IDs’, are essential to the functionality of certain areas of the website.
Web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Apple Safari have settings which allow the user to specify whether or not cookies are accepted. If you wish to alter your browser settings to prevent cookies being stored on your computer, please consult the help section of your web browser.
Your browser can be set to not accept cookies, but this would restrict your use of the Sites. If you want to find out more information about cookies, go to https://www.allaboutcookies.org or to find out about removing them from your browser, go to https://www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/index.html.
Advertising Partners Privacy Policies
Note that Number 1 Plates has no access to or control over these cookies that are used by third-party advertisers.
Third Party Privacy Policies
You can choose to disable cookies through your individual browser options. To know more detailed information about cookie management with specific web browsers, it can be found at the browsers’ respective websites.
GDPR Data Protection Rights
We would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights. Every user is entitled to the following:
- The right to access – You have the right to request copies of your personal data. We may charge you a small fee for this service.
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request that we correct any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request that we complete the information you believe is incomplete.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to request that we erase your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to restrict processing – You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to object to processing – You have the right to object to our processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to data portability – You have the right to request that we transfer the data that we have collected to another organization, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us.
Another part of our priority is adding protection for children while using the internet. We encourage parents and guardians to observe, participate in, and/or monitor and guide their online activity.
Number 1 Plates does not knowingly collect any Personal Identifiable Information from children under the age of 13. If you think that your child provided this kind of information on our website, we strongly encourage you to contact us immediately and we will do our best efforts to promptly remove such information from our records.